Ruins of Conimbriga
Inhabited since the Neolithic period, it has a safe human presence in Chalcolithic and in the Bronze Age.
It is true that the Celts were here: the place names ending in “fight” are a clear testimony of this presence. Conimbriga was therefore a castro when the Romans in 138 BC arrived here and seized the oppidum (1).
The set of the Ruins of Conimbriga, the Monographic Museum - built in its immediate proximity - and the Alcabideque castellum constitutes an important archaeological complex, which makes it possible to reconstruct an important cell of the great Roman Empire. Together with Mirobriga (Santiago do Cacém) and Tongobriga (Freixo, Marco de Canaveses), it forms the great triangle of Roman memory in Portugal.
The grandeur and pragmatism of Roman architecture are well represented in Conimbriga, as well as the superiority of its civilizing action, which surpasses the most diverse details of daily life. Because, as the text above elucidates, it had been inhabited since very ancient times, the foundation of Conimbriga and most of the buildings erected there date back to the time of Emperor Augustus (1st century BC - 1st century AD).
Started in 1928, archaeological excavations have uncovered a very significant part of the layout of this city, allowing visitors to the Ruins to prove their laborious urban planning and attentive to all needs: the forum, the aqueduct, the shopping districts , industry and housing, an inn, several spas, the amphitheater, the walls for circumscription and defense of the city. Of this set, stands out a neighborhood of rich manor houses - which is diametrically opposed to the insulars of the common people, due to the complexity of its construction and decorative refinement - where “A Casa dos Repuxos” stands out, with a large garden peristyle and paved with polychrome mosaics, preserved in situ, exhibiting mythological, geometric motifs, or representing, quite simply, the real everyday.
Source: CM Condeixa