The Guarda Museum was founded in 1940.
It presents a collection consisting of collections of archeology, numismatics, sacred sculpture from the 13th to the 18th centuries, sacred painting from the 16th to the 18th centuries and armory from the 17th to the 20th centuries. We also find ceramics, photography, regional ethnography, painting and drawing from the end of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. Recently he has developed action in the field of contemporary art and has significantly expanded this collection.
The Guarda Museum is installed in the former Episcopal Seminary built in 1601 by D. Nuno de Noronha. The set includes the Episcopal Palace, the Seminary and the Church, forming a U-shaped plan, with the Church in the center. The set is part of Mannerism, built in the 17th century, with the exception of the church, from the 19th century, more specifically from 1887.
The Guarda Museum is heir to the Guarda Regional Museum founded in 1940, under the dependence of the City Council, within the scope of Centennial Commemorations. In 1983, the building was remodeled and a museological plan was prepared for the presentation of the permanent collection. It opened to the public in June 1985 under the name of Museu da Guarda. He is currently under the tutelage of the Municipality of Guarda.
Of the works that make up their collections, two swords from the Bronze Age deserve particular mention in archeology, a Hispanic annular fibula from the 5th / 6th centuries BC. , The collection of Roman numismatics and an Imperial Roman torso of the 2nd century; in sculpture, a polychrome granite from the 13th century, representing N.ªªª da Consolação, the 16th-century Altar of the Annunciation and the 16th and 18th-century armchair backrests; in painting, drawings by Carlos Reis, António Carneiro, oils by Columbano, Eduarda Lapa, Almeida e Silva and João Vaz; the ethnographic collections allow a reading of the main economic activities in the region and the collection of weapons that includes pieces from the 17th to the 20th century, which document the evolution of the armory.
Source: DGPC (www.patrimoniocultural.pt)